Copenhagen Photo Gallery - Amalienborg Museum |
||
Amalienborg is a royal palace comprising 4 architecturally-identical buildings around a square with the statue of King Frederik V. It was built as part of the Frederiksstaden district to mark the dynasty's 300 years on the throne. The royal family moved in in 1794 after Christiansborg Palace burned down.The Royal Life Guard maintains a presence in the square with regular staff rotations, while the official changing of the guard ceremony takes place at noon with the guards marching over from Rosenborg Castle.
One of the buildings is now a museum that showcases the reconstructed royal apartments used by 3 generations from 1863-1947. They include Christian X's study and Queen Louise's salon.
The dining room appears almost exactly as it did when Christian X and Queen Alexandrine lived here from 1899 until they passed away shortly after World War II.
The Fabergé Chamber contains the most exquisite objects and testament of the royal family's ties with Russia. Princess Dagmar, daughter of Christian IX and Louise, married the future Emperor Alexander III of Russia in 1866. One of them is the champagne cooler created in 1892 as a golden wedding anniversary gift to Denmark.
Heading upstairs, the first room is the Gothic Library, designed for Queen Dowager Caroline Amalie in 1852. Hans Christian Andersen was once a guest here.
The Gala Hall shows decor from the late 1700s and was used for festivities and social occasions.
The Appartement Hall was used for social events called appartements, which included conversations, card games, and banquets.
This simple-looking chair is actually the new "throne". Well, the monarchy no longer uses thrones, and this room is the only remaining throne chamber in the palace. Historically, members of the royal family each had their own throne chamber to hold audiences, including the children.
The Pompeian Chamber was originally Christian VIII and Queen Caroline Amalie's bedroom. The decor was inspired by the Pompeii excavations, which were a sensation in the 19th century.
An audio guide is included in your visit and since the ground floor rooms are fairly narrow, many visitors were crowding around listening to their guides. The rooms get larger as the journey continues so the crowds will dissipate.
|