This market's history dates back to 1837. Back in the 19th century, butchers, dairy, and poultry farmers operated in sheds while fruit and vegetable merchants sold from their wagons. A new Market Hall was built in 1885, but was destroyed by fire in 1917, forcing merchants to operate in the open air.
Hamilton's historic Victorian shopping area was demolished from the end of the 1960s and turned into an enclosed block with offices, shops, and more. The market moved to its current location in 1980, and was renovated in 2011 to add plumbing for all stalls and installing the restored Birk's Clock.