Located across the street from Tin Shui Wai's highrise residentials, the 1.6 km Ping Shan Heritage Trail debuted in 1993 linking several landmarks across historical villages in the northwest New Territories. Ping Shan was an important stronghold for the Tang clan, whose ancestors came from Jiangxi province during the Song Dynasty, and settled in this area in the 12th century. The clan built 3 walled and 6 other villages, including ancestral halls, temples, and study halls.
Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda was built more than 600 years ago. The hexagonal structure was originally located by the bay to ward off evil spirits and flooding as well as give luck to clan members taking the imperial civil service exams.
Lowrise residentials fill up the spaces between the historic buildings.
The Tang Ancestral Hall was built 700 years ago and was restored in 1990. It is still used by the clan to worship their ancestors, hold important meetings and festivities. Outside, the courtyard guarded the hall with small cannons.
Residents are within walking distance from the light rail line.
Uphill with a commanding view of the surrounding villages, the Old Ping Shan Police Station was completed in 1900 and is the only colonial building on the trail. After the police left in 2001, it has been turned into a visitors centre.
Yuen Long is in the distance, one stop away on the train.