Taipei Historic Landmarks - Zhongzheng District Photo Gallery

Taiwan Flag

Taipei's historic centre is Zhongzheng District, named after Chiang Kai-Shek. It was originally the walled city under the Qing Dynasty, and is home to the city's main railway station.

The Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall sits on top of 89 steps, symbolizing the man's age.

Chiang died in 1975 and the memorial opened in 1980. The honour guard protecting the statue changes hourly, while behind it is an exhibition of his life and how he fled with his Nationalist government across the strait.

The Presidential Office was built in 1919 for the Japanese Governor-General, and got its current use in 1949. Despite looking European, it is actually a modern Japanese style construction. Construction took 7 years and a bill of 2.8 million yen.

The Bank of Taiwan was established in 1946 with a mandate to manage the national treasury, issue currency, and carry out other central bank functions. With the restoration of the Central Bank of China in 1961, the bank changed its emphasis to general banking.

The Control Yuan has the power to impeach, censure, and audit government organizations.

The Gothic-style Chinan Presbyterian Church was built in 1916.

The National Taiwan University Hospital dates from the Japanese era at the end of the 19th century.

Remnants of the Qing Dynasty city walls are hard to come by as they were destroyed during the Japanese colonial era to make way for roads. The North Gate is one of the more visible exceptions. Unfortunately, a highway bridge has crept a bit too close.

The National Taiwan Museum was Taiwan's first public museum and moved to this location in 1915.

Huashan 1914 Creative Park is a rejuvenation project of an old wine factory. Its story started in 1914 and ended when the factory moved in 1987. It was abandoned for a number of years before artists rediscovered the site.

Taipei Gallery Main Page